Attention Nurse Travelers: Your odds look great in Reno, Nevada!
Winning reasons to take a travel assignment in the “biggest little city in the world”
While Reno may be most famous for its gambling and world-class entertainment, the city is also known for its unique museums, diverse culture, outdoor recreation, and renowned dining scene. There’s no shortage of an amazing community in the “biggest little city in the world.” If you’re willing to roll the dice with Reno, we think you’ll score a huge win. Read on for great reasons to choose this exceptional city for your next assignment.
Reno, Nevada claims a Top 10 Spot on the Best Places to Live – The city is ranked #9 according to the list of Best Places to Live in the U.S. 2022-2023 Quality of Life according rankings published by US News & World Report. Reno owes this prestigious accolade to its overall quality of life; including urban living with small-town charm, top-notch entertainment, vast options for outdoor recreation, and an exciting nightlife. There are also plenty of amenities you’d expect and want to be convenient—hair salons, nail salons, pharmacies, barbers, gas stations, grocery markets, places to worship, etc. What’s more, you are less than an hour from the celebrated Lake Tahoe—with several options for shuttle and public transportation.
Ready to enjoy an average of 300 days of sun per year? Reno is very popular for its weather, boasting the perfect hybrid climate with four seasons due to its mixture of desert temperatures and Lake Tahoe’s high mountain weather systems. Reno experiences hot and arid summers and cold and snowy winters. Summer highs can reach temperatures in the 90’s while it averages 23 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter. Expect about of 22 inches of snow per year.
Things to Do
Reno is a leader in arts and culture and is home to various performing arts centers, galleries, and historic architecture. Reno also features amazing murals around every street corner and special events that celebrate local artists. Check out these must-visit attractions:
- Nevada Art Museum – This is the only American Alliance of Museums accredited art museum in Nevada which showcases contemporary art, landscape photography, and western art.
- The Theatre – Home of “Magique,” a resident production and extravaganza that features 20 illusions, seven showgirls, and special effects; this performing art center, gallery space, and venue is famous for unique productions.
- McKinley Arts and Culture Center – This expansive display space features two art galleries and arts and crafts workshops.
- Stremmel Gallery – Architecturally beautiful art gallery that features work from local artists and specializes in contemporary paintings, drawings, and sculptures.
- Art Obsessions Gallery – Features a great collection of local artists in a vibrant space with paintings, photography, and sculptures for sale.
In addition to these fantastic cultural venues, Reno is known for 13 “Iconic” annual events, Click Here to mark your calendar.
The City of Reno offers 87 park facilities playgrounds, sports fields, splash pads, basketball and tennis courts, open turf and a variety of other recreational amenities. After long hours inside a hospital, you’ll want to visit these favorites:
- Idlewild Park – This 49-acre park hosts multiple events and celebrations throughout the year, including the Reno Street Food Truck Event and Reno Earth Day, featuring a rose garden, playgrounds, a skate park, a public pool, and duck ponds.
- Damonte Ranch Park – Family friendly with plenty of walking trails for your furry friends.
- Anderson Regional Park – A sprawling 70 acres of ranchland with hiking and equestrian trails as well as two picnic areas.
- Crystal Lake Park – This five-acre well-maintained park features dog-friendly walking trails, a basketball court, tennis courts, covered picnic tables, and plenty of room to run around.
- Crissie Caughlin Park – Features endless shady spaces and walking paths.
Here’s a one-stop shop option to explore the Reno area. The “outdoors experts” Sierra Adventures – offers equipment, rentals, recreation, information, transportation and expert guide services. Sierra Adventures is the region’s first and only multi-sport outfitter. From dune buggy tours, to a leisurely trail ride on horseback as well as dog sledding, mountain biking, rafting, rock climbing and hot air balloon rides, you are sure to find something that excites you. There are just too many options to list, Click Here to browse packages, prices and seasonal availability.
Food and Drink
With more than 200 restaurants in Reno, it can be hard to pick a favorite. Offering a large variety of cuisine choices, the restaurants in Reno focus on using high-quality ingredients and friendly service to create not just a nice meal but an experience. New trends are showing a surge in hotspots that serve up games, local brews, craft cocktails and delicious food. Many eateries have been featured on Food Network’s Top Places to Eat. From special occasion dining to quick bites that won’t break the bank, check out these favorite eateries in Reno:
- La Strada – Traditional Italian cuisine at the Eldorado Resort Casino.
- Bistro Napa – Classic California cuisine, including oysters and a raw seafood bar at the Atlantis Resort.
- Bimini Steakhouse – Upscale steakhouse at the Peppermill resort features some of the finest steaks and seafood.
- Bricks – Classic New American cuisine in an elegant and romantic atmosphere.
- Wild River Grille – Modern restaurant featuring an array of American entrees located in the historic Riverside Hotel.
- Süp – Quick-serve eatery changes its soup menu daily and offers salads, sandwiches alongside housemade cookies.
- Great Full Gardens – All-day cafe serving American fare with a healthy focus, using ingredients from its own greenhouse.
- Bab Café – Easygoing outpost spotlighting Korean-style rice bowls and snacks in minimalist surroundings.
- Phở 777 Vietnamese Noodle Restaurant – Vietnamese noodle soups, spring rolls, banh mi sandwiches and more in a simple, sit-down space.
- Burger Me! – Modern counter serve offering an array of creative burgers and sides, plus local draft brews.
- The Original Mels Diner – Local chain featuring a retro atmosphere and a menu of classic American diner fare.
For even more choices and category search to find that perfect place Click Here
15 Best Bars in Reno, Nevada According to My Bartender
Here’s an expert curated list for the Reno area. Be sure to visit the full article for why these are top picks. Not into drinking alcohol? No worries, alternative spirits and virgin versions of today’s popular cocktails are yours for the asking. Take advantage of the social scene and stay sober!
- DEATH & TAXES provisions and spirits
- Chapel Tavern
- Sierra Tap House
- Piñon Bottle Co
- Rum Sugar Lime
- 1864 Tavern
- Whispering Vine – Midtown
- Ole Bridge Pub
- The Emerson Cocktail Lounge
- The Eddy
- The Depot Craft Brewery & Distillery
- Pignic Pub & Patio
- Our Bar
- The Brewer’s Cabinet
- The Glass Die
There’s no shortage of caffeine in Reno. From established chains to the perfect hidden gem, there’s always an option for great coffee, tea, internet, meet-up space and the atmosphere you desire. Visit Reno has a great directory of nearly 30 coffee spots you’ll want to explore while in town. Click Here to get the list.
There’s plenty of shopping in the Reno area. Boutiques, retail stores, shopping malls and outlet stores are packed with whatever you are looking for—from that something special to a bargain find. Below is a quick list of top picks, Click Here for websites and complete details. Some include fun surprises, like an IMAX theater, indoor trampoline park, and even a speakeasy.
- Meadowood Mall
- Midtown District
- Outlets at Legends
- Riverwalk District
- The Summit
Reno offers traditional rideshare (Lyft, Uber) and taxi services. In addition, Reno has a variety of public transportation services available. The Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) offers bus routes throughout the Reno area, including the RTC RAPID Virginia Line which provides convenient access to stops along Virginia Street, from downtown to Meadowood Mall. If you’re looking for a unique way to get around downtown and Midtown then check out Pineapple Pedicabs, a fun bicycle transportation service.
Ready to GO?
The team at Go Healthcare is ready to match you with a rewarding assignment in Reno, Nevada. With a wonderful city, competitive pay, amazing weather, and plenty to do in your spare time, we think you’ll hit the jackpot. Check out the latest opportunities here, and email us to discuss options. Get ready to go and contribute to a world-class hospital in Reno, Nevada.